Wednesday 19 January 2011

A Royal fear of Public Speaking


I’m someone who can speak effectively, eloquently and with confidence, in my head. But speaking to a group I get so nervous and can be difficult for me. This is not unusual and I know I am not alone.    With the release of the film the Kings Speech this has brought the fear of public speaking to the forefront of news. Here is some footage 

You will know by now that the King overcame his stammering problem with the help of a speech therapist.  He then went on to conquer his nerves and became a polished speaker.  This was a first.  Before King George VI most monarchs were images, figure heads who did not have to speak in public and now it is common place (I wish some of them would go back to that ideal). Back then there was no Christmas message.  The most taxing was the state opening of parliament which took place behind closed doors. I found an original recording which you may appreciate




This speech has a different pace and resonance from the public speakers of today.

Love this or hate it please leave your comments 

Paul Johnstone is the founder of
The Paradigm Shakers

Providers of Thought Provoking Training

http://www.paradigmshakers.co.uk/

©Paul Johnstone; The Paradigm Shakers

No comments:

Post a Comment